www.cindypackardrichmond.com

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Looking for Mr. what'shisname

Given that I spend a good chunk of my day trying to remember where I left something, I should be thrilled with the Advent of the Search Engine.  I don't begin to understand how it works, (I'm still trying to understand how atoms  zing around inside solid objects).  Nonetheless, I use the search feature everyday.  Sheer indulgence.  I have a shelf of reference books from when I was a writer. They mock me with their dust.  I've read that you retain more facts  from reading a book than searching online.  I've forgotten where I read that.
The thing is, search engines have no loyalty.  They'll tattle on me and you to anyone who asks.  My blog site has a feature that allows me to see what word searches are directed to my site.  This week:  damien hirst flies, gold leaf, dragons, stair history, and (my favorite) raw chicken.  I'm willing to make a deal with the cyberdevil.  I will go back to using reference books if someone will invent a search machine that will find the really tough stuff, like where I've left  the instructions to the thermostat.

No comments:

Post a Comment