www.cindypackardrichmond.com

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Death by Root Beer


Once again, I have killed my laptop computer with spilled root beer.  The MacBook pro was seven years old, surely living on borrowed time.  I was determined to keep it going. Not out of sentiment, but because it ran Photoshop Elements #6.  My business depends on photos, for paintings and for sale.

I inadvertently upgraded to BigSur OS last year and discovered to my horror that it would not run my antiquated photoshop software.  In a panic, I purchased Photoshop Elements #20 and bought the 'for dummies' book.  I tried, I really did. Then I called Apple and reverted to the old OS.

My new computer uses the futuristic Photoshop Elements 2021.  Another app paid for, another 'for dummies' bought.   I have leapfrogged into the future and it is not pretty.  What was once so simple is now tortuous.

I considered repairing my old Mac. The technician quoted a minimum of $650.  Only the track pad fell victim to the root beer but it is of one piece with the battery and the keyboard.  Clever apple.

A few days after its death, I turned on the old laptop.  The track pad did not work, but I reasoned maybe a new magic mouse would.  I was right!  Some files are missing or corrupted, but I can process and  print images.

It will take another pandemic for me to untangle the future.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment